PRESS STATEMENT OF DOCTORS FOR ATIKU/OKOWA 2023 DELIVERED ON SUNDAY, JULY 17TH 2022.
WHY NIGERIA NEEDS ATIKU ABUBAKAR AND DR. IFEANYI OKOWA.
1. The 2023 Election presents a unique opportunity for Nigerians to register their grievances for the failures of the APC in the past 7 years. It is a time for the electorate to rise above the noise, and critically examine any opposition as a means to defeating the APC.
2. The Flag Bearer of The PDP, HE Atiku Abubakar is the most viable and best choice to execute the judgment of angry Nigerians on the APC. He has been more than consistent and vocal over the years about our collective challenges and has proffered solutions.
3. He showed great appreciation of our economic problems and displayed an ability to tackle them; after setting up a world-class team of technocrats to lead the economic council. He cleared the debt burden significantly, & led the revolution in the Telecomms and private sector.
4. Atiku Abubakar understands the need for quality education, and knows that only more funding can end the lingering debacle between ASUU and FG. His 2019 ‘Atiku plan’ put forward increasing the quota for Education from 7% to 20% as a solution.
5. It is unfortunate that in 2022, other candidates are playing to the gallery, by suggesting that nomination forms of 100million could solve ASUU’s financial demands. While the high cost of forms is condemnable. Only 25 paid such amounts to the APC. It would take 13000 forms to raise ASUU 1.3trillion Naira.
6. These poorly thought plans and mathematically impossible dreams are only made out to resonate with unknowing masses who are already frustrated with the system. In 2019, Atiku promised to end the strike on his first day in office. We missed him then, and hope not to miss him again.
7. When Atiku talks about increasing Production and making Nigeria a self-dependent economy, he backs it up with what he has done in the private sector, as a majority of His investments are in Agriculture.
8. The struggle for the passage of the National Health Act which provides a standard for the provision of accessible healthcare began in 2004 when Atiku was also in Government. The National Health Insurance Scheme(NHIS) was also instituted during this tenure as Vice President. 18 years on, no significant progress.
9. We believe that He would pick up from where he left off and pursue with vigor the plan of creating more access to healthcare for Nigerians.
All Candidates speak of job creation, but, we have chosen to trust the largest private employer of labor who also enforces minimum wage.
10. Several times Atiku has been a victim of propaganda onslaught. Journalists who hope to generate traffic, author publications of corruption allegations. From publicly available records; no court of law and competent jurisdiction has ever indicted Atiku Abubakar for corruption.
11. It would interest the public to note that it was Atiku Abubakar who brought the legislative draft for EFCC from Brazil. That after passing the EFCC Act, there was no budgetary allocation for the organization and Atiku borrowed the body N300Million from privatization proceeds to get started.
12. Recall, that when Atiku was in Government, the EFCC was not used as a weapon against opposition parties. Prominent leaders in the PDP were prosecuted and brought to justice. We have not witnessed such determination to fight corruption after that era.
13. Now we see the impunity with which the current administration operates. Where all sins against the people, no matter how grievous are forgiven; provided you carry a broom in the air. EFCC has become political tool for intimidation of opposition interests and for harassing the youths on the streets and in homes.
14. Many have raised concerns about the age of Atiku Abubakar, it will interest the public to know that all leading Presidential Candidates are above 60 years(Retirement age for Civil Service). But if the Public service were to be Civil Service, all would be similarly disqualified.
15. So the argument of age lacks merit. Rather, more than ever we should worry about the Candidate’s health status, mental agility, and intellectual capacity. From our keen observation, Atiku Abubakar is physically, mentally, and intellectually fit to contest and govern Nigeria.
16. We recall, that Atiku was with us during the #EndSARS era. The Archives show He has been vocal about #EndSARS since 2017. In the wake of 20/10/20 killings, He spoke on the reality of many Nigerian parents and the terror of raising children in Nigeria, under an administration that has no care for life.
17. As Doctors, we are involved in the care of life and committed to a life of service. We are carrying out our duties under terrible conditions and with poor compensation from Government. The former Minister of Health under this same Administration had mocked doctors who lamented about the poor welfare in the residency program, and He advised them to become farmers or tailors.
18. Millions of students, including future doctors, are trapped at home, unable to complete their program and add to the workforce in a country that has a very poor doctor-to-patient ratio.
19. It is on this note that we have organized, and drawn up an action plan to deliver HE Atiku Abubakar in 2023. Leveraging on the vast network of Doctors and the existing party structures in all wards and LGAs to sensitize our patients when they visit the hospital.
20. From data we have colatted as of July 14th, 2022. Our team has 8796 Doctors who collectively see between 34789- 65766 patients daily.
We are currently co-opting medical students who are suffering from prolonged Strikes and other allied professionals. We will update as we go.
21. By September 2022, We will commence Medical outreach in all LGAs in the federation, sparing none. We have set up a technical team that has vast experience in Universal Healthcare coverage. A comprehensive health care plan is being developed which would be delivered to Atiku.
22. Nigerians will feel the impact, and lives would be touched. At the end of the day, it would be a win-win for the masses. As they would benefit from the projects and also vote out the APC. We beckon on Nigerians to put on their thinking camps; to win this race against time.
23. We must literally “put our best foot forward”. The most prepared to deliver the mandate is Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa. So we encourage all to rise above the noise, hatred, and weaponization of our suffering and to vote for the PDP in the 2023 General Elections.
24. From the foregoing, we have shown how we came to this conclusion in good faith, that the combination of Atiku and Okowa remains the most viable choice for Nigeria.
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Dr. Daniel Faithful Miebaka (National Publicity Secretary, Doctors For Atiku/Okowa 2023 Group)
Dr. Ogar Emmanuel Idoko (Director General, Doctors For Atiku/Okowa 2023 Group).